Very Good Humidity Strategy here

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by ChicagoCubs22, May 11, 2004.

1. ChicagoCubs22

ChicagoCubs22 New Member

Ive been reading and i know from experience that Ball Pythons are notorious for strip sheds, coming off in weeks rather then a day or two. Well, i may have a solution for your BP's/other Pythons shed problems.

BP's are NOT TROPICAL snakes first off. They live in africa.

I have a rather big enclosure for my 1 year old Ball Python, its a 40L breeder tank, i have an absolutely huge water bowl where he can fit his whole body inside of it to soak, and i regularly change it/make sure enough is in there. Other then the bowl nothing physically inside the enclosure effects humidity.

Heres what i do. This is for Screen Top enclosures only.

1. Get a few bath towels
    2. Lay them across the screen top, so all the area is covered except some space around the heating light(s).
    3. Boil some water, and make sure your BP is in his hide.
    3a. If BP is out and about, just get hot tap water.
    4. Pour the water on the towels, so all the towel is soaked, and it is covering the screen top. Make sure the towels are covering enough space as to retain humidity.

5. Soak the Towels once a day or so to make sure the humidity stays high. I prefer warm-hot water so the temp cant fluctuate as well. Make sure you DO NOT BURN YOUR BP with the water. :)

Here is a pic:

The top shelf is my Red Tails cage, the bottom is my Ball PYthons cage. Imagine on the top shelf a 10 gallon next to the red tails cage for my beardie (temperary of course) so i had to subtract the night bulb of each of the 2 tanks to make the beardie have light.

Now imagine the bottom Ball Python tank have the towels cover the whole right half of the screen top as well as some of the left aside of the light. This way i get constant 60%, and when hes in shed, i bump it up 5-15% more.
    [​IMG]

The last 5 sheds he's hed were ALL in ONE peice :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Krazigrl9999

Krazigrl9999 Embryo

That sounds like a good idea, I'll have to try that soon. Recently I've been having humidity problems and this tip is new. How high is the humidity in your enclosure and how long does it stay that way?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Salstang00

Salstang00 New Member

What is the proper humdity for the ball? 60-70%?