Vet hasn't helped.

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Ryeshu, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

The vet failed to help a snake of mine so im taking this into my own hands. My snake does NOT have retained eye caps. Friends of mine that said her eye problems came from the cage being dry and her squishing herself aganist the glass too much denting her eyes. Ive raised the humitity ALOT and that hasnt worked either. Im thinking about starting to soak her ever day in water but im wondering what to do. She seems to HATE it more than anything. I put her in the sink and ive never seen her so wild! She squirms and jumps stright into the air to get out. Im thinking about putting the top on a container but what about air? How long should i leave her in there? Im scared she cant see because her eyes looks cracked. She hasnt bitten me very much ever but now every time i try to touch her she jumps and strikes. Im very worried about her please help!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Keep her in a enclosure with about 60% humidity for at least 2 sheds. Everything with snakes works slowly. It will take time to recover, they are not fast healers like mammals.

As far as the striking, it sounds like she is seriously stressed from all of the extra handling and soaks and what not. Keep her in the 60% humidity enclosure and leave her alone for a month or two. Only disturb her to change water, clean poop and pee and to give her a quick 2 minute look over once week. Right now she is bent out of shape.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jujube

Jujube New Member

I wouldn't put her in a container with a lid; that's how someone in another forum accidently killed their snake. If she really hates baths, perhaps try moistening a towel and letting her crawl through that. It's equally effective but less risky. If her eyes have been "cracked" for awhile, it could have caused permanent damage by now. I really hope not but it's a possibility.

Here's a link for known herp vets. Just select your state and it'll list the vets by city. She really ought to see someone who can treat her or at least give you a definitive answer about what's wrong. Poor snakey.. I wish you and her the best!

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Melinda666

Melinda666 New Member

I've had several snakes come to me with dented eyes. Shrap is right on the money with his advice. Good humidity and a couple sheds and my snakes eyes look good.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

Shrap gor the idea
    that is exactly what I had to doo to get one of my ball pythons eys back to nornal. My ball had the "cracked" look too from resting agenst the glass. I got a bigger humidifyer and after three or so sheds it back to normal with no apperant vision loss.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

I havnt been handling her. She wants to bite me because she cant see so ive been leaving her alone. I took her out and gave her a bath. Ive been spraying her cage constantly to try and raise the humitiy. All my other snakes are fine so i don't know what is wrong with her. She dosnt seem to be getting any better. Im worried i feel like such an idiot for ever thinking i didn't want these guys. I love them so much and i wouldnt want any other pet then them. My albino is now tame along with my het and everyone is eating normally. The only time i end up putting a rat in the freezer is if one is sheading. I take each one out for 15 mintues every day and my boyfriend LOVES them to death he is actully planning on getting his own but now im worried for this one heaths. She seems completely blind now and i dont know what else to do. Ive been to the vet too many times. How long should i keep her in the water? I dont want her to drown.

12. Lokismommy

Lokismommy New Member

I really think she needs an eye cream is there no other vet you can go too?

13. usmckitten

usmckitten New Member

Calm down.. can you post a pic of her eyes? Don't worry so much that it is what you are doing... what kind of enclosure is she in... what is the humidity, the temps (hot and cold side) what is your substrate, what is in the enclosure with the snake? Snakes are resiliant healers...

Kristin

14. SatanicIntention

SatanicIntention New Member

Put her in a shoebox rubbermaid container with a few holes near the top, add about an inch of lukewarm water, place the snake in, put lid on, put entire container, snake and all, in the snake's cage on the warm side. Leave the snake in there for 45 minutes to an hour. The snake will not drown in an inch of water and will remain warm and secure since the whole box is in the cage. This works for many breeders. If you are worried about the snake drowning, put a small towel in the shoebox, and then add enough water so that there is still an inch of it covering the bottom of the tub.

15. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

I dont have a thing that can measure humidity. Im not worked up im calm so no worries. :D I can try to take a picture of her tonight. The temps are fine. Low 90s on the hot and mid 80s on the cool. The temps dont drop below 73 at night. She has a small scab on the top of her head from bad sheadding. Ive been misting her every day and night all over her cage. None of my other snakes have had any problems so im wondering whats wrong with her.

16. merchant

merchant New Member

you really need a humidity guage, even a cheep one from a pet store..about 3 or 4 $. i thought my humidity was going to be ok misting her 2 or 3 times a day (morning ,afternoon and before bed.) the humidity ranged from 35% to 70% (just after a misting) it droped to 35% during the day when the day lamp is on, (with temp ruing 87/90) to 70% and 78 at night. misting is just to unreliable (for my enviorment i live in a basement apartment) i finally bought a reptile humidifyer so i dont have to mist and to better regulate the hymidity. its now a consistant 50% by day and 60% by nignt. the pump i use is adjustable so i can turn it up to get 60/70% durning shed cycles. now i mist just to simulate rain......