[Video] Is my gecko healthy? [Video]

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by adam859, Mar 29, 2008.

1. adam859

adam859 New Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BBY74bRhd4E

this is a video of me getting him out sorry i put the camera down at one point because he was trying to climb on me, silly fella
    also if you can tell me if its a she or he that would help, im not shure really

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I keep getting this error message:

The video you have requested is not available.

If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks for sharing the video with us. It looks like your leo has some pretty strong bones and carries his/her tail well. What is his length and weight? It looks like he could use some more fat on his tail but that can be hard to tell on camera.

I couldn't tell from the video if he is male or female, but maybe this page will help you decide...
    http://www.repticzone.com/articles/sexingleopardgeckos.html Males have pretty noticeable bulges so I think you'd probably know if it was a male.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. adam859

adam859 New Member

phew its good to see hes nice and strong, especially as (for some cruel reason, well not cruel but i dunno i just didnt give him calcium for the last 6 months, im now giving it on every feed, so he should be up to speed, his tail is nice and big hes always hada nice chunky tail, its not huge but its a good fair size. thanks =)

=O i think my he is a she, a new name is in order, hmmmm a new thread i think

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

If you want to see chunky tails you should have seen an old member's leo. I think that tail was bigger than the gecko, haha. No reason to have an overweight gecko though. I would just keep giving the calcium and multi-vitamins and feed her as much as she'll eat every day. Also be sure to gutload all her feeders with healthy food. After all, she is what she eats. :)

If you aren't already I also suggest keeping track of her weight with a little gram scale. Changes in weight can be used as an early warning sign for illness.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. adam859

adam859 New Member

oooo, why you think shes ill? (also i will get weighing scales i havent got any =S) and yes i do gut feed with fruits (has alot of water in it and alot of nutriant)

12. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I don't think she's ill at all. I just wanted to let you know that weight is a good thing to keep track of.

Also, I would take a look at cricketfood.com gutload or at the recipe at drgecko.com. It sounds like your buggies could use a little more love. A lot of people seem to think this, but fruits are NOT a gutload. They are a water source, and not a very good one for some bugs. I'd cook up some gutload from that recipe or buy some from cricketfood, and then add some veggies for water. That way the bugs will have a lot more to offer your leo. :)

13. adam859

adam859 New Member

how often do you feed the crickets?

14. adam859

adam859 New Member

see now the problem with that is, is its an american site, and i need one in england

15. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I don't feed with crickets any more, but they are just the same as any bug... You want food to be available to them at all times. I would just keep a dish of food in their bin at all times and a few veggies that you change out every other or so. I'm sorry about the site, I didn't realize that you were in England. I'm not aware of anywhere in the UK to buy a good gutload, but the dr. gecko recipe should work fine for you to make one. Here's a direct link to the recipe... http://www.drgecko.com/insectdiet.htm You may actually have better luck with some of the ingredients. :)

16. adam859

adam859 New Member

i Buy my crickets in a kind of egg box shaped box, but plastic so its difficult to fit alot of food in, the ingredients list is pretty big actually, hmmm

17. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

The idea is to put in as many things as you can find to give them a good balanced diet. If you can't find some of the ingredients I wouldn't be too worried. Also, depending on how many crickets you keep, it's probably easy to just put them in a large kritter keeper or even an old ten gallon fish tank. That way they have enough space for them, food, and hiding spaces and they'll get plenty of ventilation. All of those things will keep them healthier and smelling less. :)

18. Bex190

Bex190 Member

19. adam859

adam859 New Member

ill use my old vivarium to put crickets in put its difficult to put them in the other viv, hmmm also can i gett a direct link to the gutload feeding food im struggling to find it

20. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

If you do a search on livefood.co.uk for "gutload" you get two different sizes to choose from.

21. Bex190

Bex190 Member

22. adam859

adam859 New Member

No i found it in the end, i also foudn the other gut laoding excatly the same as he one someone told me about on the american site, its on its way as we speak should be here tuesday'ish

23. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear you purchased the gutload, that one has a great list of ingredients. I'm sure it will work wonders for your leo :wink: