Viviarium Requirments

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by espmirage100, Jun 7, 2009.

1. espmirage100

espmirage100 Embryo

What is the requirements for making a viviarium for a ball python being housed in a 75 gallon tank? Anything from plant species tio substrate i am interested in.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

well for substrate paper towels, carefresh, aspen, and eco earth make good substrates. i prefer eco earth since it holds humidity best

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lil_shy_aries

lil_shy_aries New Member

Hello shanna66,
    with a 75 gallon aquarium, you can do almost anything. One im curious of how old is your snake, If he is young. the skin is a bit tender, if he is 2 or 3 they can take a little tougher terain. If he is four or older he can take bark and the rougher terain.
    First I'll tell you what vets say paper towels only less desease and sickness.they dont want you even using artificial terf.
    if you are diligent and take care of your baby. you can do some pretty neat stough with the size aquarium you have. take one end and build him a pond in it. I used a piece of plexy glass and use aquaruim silicone and make it water tight, about 10 to 12 inces wide and about 4 inches deep, dont forget to make the edge of your top part of your plexyglass smooth no rough edges hurt their scales. mine is 4 years old so he has a large one. then use a under water heater in it ,but dont forget to put a piece of pvc cover over it to prevent burns on your snake. they dont feel it burning them. so you have to be their watcher but dont forget about the underwater filter to filter ... dont have one of those dont make a pond.2) when my 4 year old was very young i use what we call bettabeast it comes in a brick. make it about 3 inhes or so deep, they love moss it holds in moister. Try making different cubbies for the baby to crawl into use rocks. cleaned with bleach then use amquiel to kill the bleach when its cleaned. I used fake ivy, flowers on a vine to decorate. they love to climb. so I bought some grape vine and stuck it to the wall of the back.for shelving, and they can clib on it. on differnt levels what ever they feel like that day and put it up with the same aquarium silicone non toxic for animals. use your imagination. do not use gravel they may swallow it when they feed. using the dirt or bark watch for mites. using such a large aquarium. pay attention to your humidity and heat level. its hard to heat up and maintain heat during all seasons with such a large aqaruim. another good idea is to keep an extra heat bulb around they go out when you least expect it. or a power surge.If your cant tell my snakes are spoilded.If he is a huge large older female I have no clue. they will plow threw all decorations thats when ill make a room for them to be free.I hope this helps
    lil_ shy_ aries. good luck and have fun with your baby.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. espmirage100

espmirage100 Embryo

Thnks guys that was very helpful. Ill have updates soon.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

I will assume this is an adult ball? A baby would be very stressed out in a 75gal.

I have used many different types of substrates; paper towels and newspaper are my favorites; :mellow: easiest to clean. But if you want something that looks nicer, aspen is great, although it doesn't hold humidity very well. I live in a dry region, so I've also experimented with humidity-holding substrates. Don't use Eco Earth; I tried Eco Earth and threw it out after the second day. When it sits, the water collects at the top, making it wet. A snake on wet substrate will cause scale rot. I'm not particularly fond of Repti-Bark, but it works much better than Eco Earth. I have yet to try cypress mulch, but it supposedly works well.

It is by far easiest to use fake plants; any fertilizers or pesticides in live plants will kill your snake; there is also a good chance that your snake will bend, break, or tip plants.

Pretty much, the designing of it is up to you, as long as you have a temp gradient; 88-89* on the warm side, 78-83* on the cool side, and 55-65% humidity.

Are you going to get a ball? They are the greatest pets! :) I'd love to see a pic of the viv when you're done.