Want a boa, opinions please.

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Janice, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

No picture yet, but I'll post one when I get it. I'm going to keep handling him until I'm completely comfy with it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Good deal.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Aren't ya proud??? :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Yea. I'll be more proud the first time he bites you and you just deal with it and keep handling him. That'll be the true test but I think you're doing great :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. liza714

liza714 Member

Hey Janice? Have you considered a Children's python? (Yes I know this is boa chat im sorry) They stay very small and slender around 3ft I think as an adult. The babies are tiny. They are around 8inches as a hatchling but can still eat pinkies too weird. Also the ones I have known (a whooping 2) were all well behaved and not the least nippy. Also they are relatively easy in terms of care. I always wonder why more people dont own them.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bassteck76

bassteck76 New Member

Yes the tree boas teethe are way bigger....two sets of fangs top and bottom and inflict a nasty bite....possible stiches too.....but I have heard that the Childrens Python isnt a good one either..... I would have to say a Rosy or a Sand Boa would be the best.....in my opinion. Both stay small...eat well...need small enclosures....if they bite you, you probably wont even know it.....they have small teeth and are smaller snakes.....

I have a Kenyan Sand and I love it....dont see it often...LOL....but love it!

I am looking for a Rosy Boa at the moment....just got a Snow Cornsnake today......

12. Janice

liza714, I have considered a children's python. I won't know what I want until I see it....

13. Chapstickglue

Chapstickglue Embryo

I <3 Dumerils...that's all I've got to say LOL

14. Janice

I just want another snake (or 2)!

15. susyq

susyq Member

hey janice if you want something with a bit of fiestyness that would eat rats how about a california king, my 2 go nuts racing round their enclosure and rattling their tales like mad, but once youve got them out they chill right out within minutes. mine are approximately 5ft and are currently eating rat weaners, it is also a nice step up from corns which usually have quite even temprements.

16. Janice

susyq, I was thinking about a california king, but not sure they could eat rats. That's good to know. I'm sort of leaning roward another ball python, though I would love something else. I was thinking about getting a rosy boa, but they are a bit small for rats, I think.

17. CraigC

CraigC New Member

I just wanted to point out that this statement about tree boas eating birds as a main stay in their diet is not accurate.

Craig

18. susyq

susyq Member

well after 3 weeks of weighing up the pros and cons ive just made my move into big snakes with a beautiful, in both colourations/markings and temprement common boa, came up with the money just in time as another person arrived to buy her just as i was getting her in the pillowcase to bring her home. she is tamer than my gerbils, and just sits coiled up on you.

19. Janice

susyq, Congrats on the new addition. It'll be years before I'm ready for a big snake, LOL!