Water Monitor - Ideal substrate.

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by SpyderPB6, Jan 6, 2008.

1. SpyderPB6

SpyderPB6 Embryo

Hey guys,

I could use some advise on selecting a good substrate for a baby water monitor, or any water monitor for that matter.

I hear alot of people talk about cypress mulch, and cypress bark mulch.
    What are you thoughts on cheaper substrates, like sands, and dirts, and your opinions on places to purchase.

Sand is dirt cheap (pardon the pun) at home depot, is that an acceptable substrate that is safe?

Ideally I want a substrate that is inexpensive, and that will keep my monitor safe, but also allow him to play around with digging and what not.

Thanks alot for any insights!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Varanus99

Varanus99 New Member

I like to use a soil mix for my monitors. Cypress mulch is certainly acceptable but in the long run you're probably better off with some type of soil. I wouldnt use straight sand though that kinda defeats the purpose of what we're trying to do here.

When it comes to dirt you have a couple options. You can purchase your supplies or go out and collect it yourself. Ive done both. If you live in an area where you have access to "clean" soil and can find a good one that the animals like then you're all set and its free for the taking. Dry river beds or areas close to water are a good place to start. Ive also been known to raid construction sites after they overturn a huge pile of earth and go shopping, lol.

I now live in a more urban area so Ive switched to store bought stuff. I use a topsoil/sand mix and it works just fine. I go with an organic topsoil. You want to try to find a dirt with as little junk in it as possible. Hopefully no fertilizers and what not. Just plain dirt. I sift it through a grid to remove the sticks and occaisonal rock thats in there. It also breaks up the clumps. Not really a big deal but it produces a finer product. Then I mix some sand in there. I dont have an exact ratio I just do it by eye. The sand helps to keep the dirt from turning into mud when you add water. My mix is mainly dirt though. Perhaps 25% sand? Then I mix it like a maniac.

After its mix I add enough water so it will hold a burrow. It should be moist but not soaking wet. If you grab a handful in your fist and squeeze it should clump but no water should squeeze out. Thats just about right. Its not an exact size a little experimentation is in order.

What you want is a somewhat moist substrate that will hold a burrow. You will have to add water to the substrate periodically to keep it sufficiently moist.

Ive read that waters seem to really like leaf litter. Some keepers will use a deep layer of soil and cover that with leaf litter. As the leaves decompose they become part of the soil mix and more can be added. I havent tried that myself but its another idea to try.

As far as cost I just shop at Home Depot. Dirt and sand are pretty cheap. If you wanted to save even more money you could buy in bulk at a garden or farm supply Im sure. Or, as I mentioned, collect your own.

Finding the right kinda mix/soil is the fun part. If the monitors dont like it they may not dig in it, lol. But once you hit on the right mix you're pretty much golden.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. SpyderPB6

SpyderPB6 Embryo

Thanks for the info.

Once you put in a substrate such as your soil, sand mix, how long does it last before it needs to be emptied, and replaced?

Does your monitor(s) frequently burrow? Or will you mind him more often then not in his water bowl?

I like the sound of a soil, sand mix becuase I can also burry the water bowl in it, to provide him easier access in and out of it.

Thanks for your feedback! It is appreciated.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Varanus99

Varanus99 New Member

I do not change the entire mix all that often. I "spot clean" any feces that I see on the surface as it appears. I also turn the soil on occaision. Larger monitors will need to have their cages cleaned out more often than smaller ones for obvious reasons. I dont really go by a set schedule. Over the years I just kinda know when it's times to dump the whole thing out and start fresh. As a general rule of thumb soil shouldnt have an odor. If it starts to stink its gettin' funky.

All my monitors burrow. They dont hang out in their water bowls very often. Actually, the only ones I see sitting in the water basin now and then are the crocs. And even thats pretty rare. But then again I dont have water loving species like niles or salvators. My cages are very humid. When the lizards have access to higher levels of humidity they dont spend all that much time soaking in water bowls. If a cage is too dry they will spend a lot of time in there.