Ways to tame Uros? Also, anyone grow there own greens?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by downhillbikin, Dec 28, 2005.

1. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

Just wondering how I can tame my uro so I can handle him. Also I want to grow my own greens so he has fresh available daily. I was thinking of Kale and Collard? Are those the best to grow? Oh, and is it a bad thing if cage temp only drops to 75-80 at night instead of cooler? Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JoshMueller

JoshMueller New Member

nick all your animals are crazy he fits right in haha.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Pat

Pat New Member

Uros can be very stubborn sometimes, and the process of taming takes a while. The best way to start taming your uro is by getting it used to your presence, it can start by just sitting outside the cage one day and reading a book, after doing that a few times, you should be able to slowly move your hand in the cage and let it sit there for a while, maybe talk to the uro a bit. Doing that will initially get it used to your presence, once the uro gets used to you, it will start to get curious about your hand (all uros are :( ), and probably walk up and lick it, that is a good sign, once this happens, dont make any sudden movements that could scare it, just let him do what he wants, because once he sees that the hand is not a threat, it wil allow you to start hand feeding him, that is a good way to bond with him. Once he is okay with your hand, you can start picking him up, not for long at first, but you can slowly increase the time of your play sessions as he gets more comfortable with you. Just Make sure that you never pick him up from above, as it will trigger his natural instinct to run because that is how prey would grab him in the wild (birds, dogs, etc).

Right now the only green that i am growing for my uros his hibiscus, which not only is the uros favorite food, but looks nice. YOu can usually find hibiscus at home depot or whatever gardening stores you have around you, it is fairly easy to keep a plant alive, and you can use the leaves and flowers to feed the uros.

Your nighttime temps sound find for the uro, the biggest concern is that the temps dont drop too low. I keep my uros outside for part of the summer here and the temps are usually in that range at night, and they do fine.