What Snake Is Right For Me??

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by roxmysox99, Oct 25, 2005.

1. roxmysox99

roxmysox99 New Member

Well i HAVE a 20 gallon long tank with UTHs and a heat lamp (if needed)

So i was wondering if there is ANY snake that will live in the 20 gallon long for life (or at least for a while) that doesnt eat mice, rats, rabbits??

I had a ball python that my MOM MADE me give to my brother that moved out of the house because she HATED having rats, mice in her freezer and she said i MAY get a new lizard or snake but just no RATS or mice!!

Any Suggestions??

-Maleeh

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to do some research on different species.

There are no vegetarian snakes.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

yes you will not find a vegetarian snake, maybe you can find some that will eat feeder fish but i dont know. I dont think a snake is for you. I would go for a lizard of some sort

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Sacha

Sacha New Member

I agree with Orengemen, unless of course, you can convince your Mom to allow to store p/k prey in her freezer :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reako45

reako45 Member

Try a Garter snake or a water snake. The melanistic Garters from around the Northern US/Canada area.

reako45

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ChamBreeder2005

ChamBreeder2005 New Member

If you want a reptile that does not eat rodents then you are better off with a lizard as you would have a larger choice.

12. roxmysox99

roxmysox99 New Member

Okay what would be a good snake that eats F/T mice and that would be in a 20 gallon long for most of its life (not a ball python (no offence ball python owners)).

I have looked at corns but is there any other snake (not a king or milk) that is resnoable prices (under 100 for sure and under 50 dollars would be best (not purchased online)).

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Trust me, the ball python owners do not take offense, they'd never house an adult ball python in something as small as a 20g long :)

You could maybe go with a spotted python.

14. mr~python

mr~python Member

lol, true i have my adult in 120g and my sub adult in 60g. but that's big for a BP

15. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

or a childrens python or a rosy boa but those might not be 50 bucks

16. rosy

rosy New Member

Rosy boas can live in a 20 gallon their entire lives but they are usually more in the $80-100 price range.

17. roxmysox99

roxmysox99 New Member

okay ball python or corn snake. i have HAD both. the ball was the better one but there were problems with feeding. i WILL buy a bigger cage (have a 20 gallon long) but i want a cool one.

18. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

how about a hog island boa? i can get sears line hogs (great coloration). they are a smaller species that could stay in a 20L for about a year, mabye more. an adult would be comfortable in a minimum of 36x18 footprint. they run around $150 and are great little snakes. i'm getting one or two next week.

~Will.

19. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Wow, in Canada, Hogg Islands run about $325!

20. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i got the hook up 8)

~Will.

21. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

It pays to know people :D I would look into a king snake, personally these are my favorites.