What to get??

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Ryan1990, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Ok... so I currentl have one leopard gecko and one collard lizard and am very soon getting another leo... the tanks right now are all very un-organised but I am building a unit that will hold my collard and 2 geckos so this will leave three empty tanks!! ;) I will sell my collards current tank and build a bigger one however I cannot build it until I decide what to get!!! lol
    I have about 5 foot in length and 2 foot in depth (on a shelf in my room) the heigh can be up to the roof (about 4-5 foot).
    So what kind of lizard can go in here... however I want something that is freindly, I can predict the most answers I get will be... bearded dragon!! lol However I want a "baby" and simply wont have the time to feed a baby beardie 3 times a day. I would really like a vegetarian lizard if possible... again I can predict most of you will say a Uro, however I have heard they are not THAT freindly. So I was thinking... what about desert iguanas?? A water dragon could be good but all the climbing stuff and things to maintain humidty tend to quickly add up in price compared to a simple "desert" viv.
    Sorry for the long post and I know I have a lot of "specifecations" but if anyone can think of something to fit my bill then I would be greatly appreciative!! :) :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

A water dragon isnt a bad idea. I have a waterdragon on a home made automatic mister and it works pretty well. Just get one of those big 2liter soda bottles drill a hole in the cap big enough for some plastic tubing and punch a hold on the side. then get the tubing u drilled out for and just put it in an put some silicon around it so it wont leak. then get one of those fish bubler things and connect it to the hose and fill i up with water and there you have a home made automatic mister.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cameron1

cameron1 New Member

I was thinking about getting a uro not to long ago but i decided not to, but i hear that the mali's are fairly well tempered as long as you work with them.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ryan1990

Hmm... Feirce, what would you say is the minimum sized tank for a WD, I dont have too much room :?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. theend882

theend882 Member

you could get a prehensile tailed skink

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ryan1990

How big do they get? Are they fairly handable??

12. theend882

theend882 Member

well they get about 30 inches you can handle them but if they bte you it is said that it is equivalent to having you hand smashed into a car door.

13. Ryan1990

Ahhh!! that must hurt ;)
    They sound pretty cool, but how likely are they to bite :? I really dont fancy having my hand crushed every time I pick it up.

14. theend882

theend882 Member

well they bite when they get annoyed and they get annoyed when you hold them by the tail or provoke them. but its all up to the lizard some are calm and nice and others are ferocious and will try and bite you when it can. they are very unpredictable