whats a good beginner snake?...

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by amz4, Nov 19, 2005.

1. amz4

amz4 New Member

well i have a leopard gecko 2 soon and i am also thinking or possibly getting a snake instead of a second leopard gecko. what i am asking is if there is a good type of snake to start off with? i dont really want a small snake but nothin huge, just a good size. any suggestions or help would be really nice

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. adam2373

adam2373 Member

ball pythons or any of the north american rat snakes including the corn snake(red rat snake)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. reako45

reako45 Member

Gopher snakes are great beginner snakes. Last show I was at, a breeder had normal pattern Sonoran Gophers for $25 a piece. I also have a Cal King, a Hognose, and a Children's python. All are great for beginners, and easy to care for, however the Children's python is still a sub adult and loves to bite!

reako45

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Corn snakes, ball pythons, kingsnakes, milksnakes, children's pythons, spotted pythons, rosy/sand boas are all good. Even gopher/pine/bull snakes.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

I think that Corns are the best but Spotted Pythons and Royal Pythons are just as good. And kings are good as well.

12. uhh..yeah

uhh..yeah New Member

i have to agree with Will he said exactly what i was going to say lol

13. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

What counts as huge? A Royal python (AKA a Ball) can get up to 5 feet. Seen some larger

but lol

14. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I think anything over 6ft would count as huge. All those snakes named stay generally below that (not sure about the pine/bull/gopher snakes though)

15. greeneyes

greeneyes Embryo

I would say start with a Corn Snake or a King Snake. I wouldn't recommend Ball Pythons. They are wonderful snakes, but sometimes they are hard to get to eat well especially small ones. Forcefeeding may be required and should only be done by a person that has expierence. If you do get a Ball, I would definately not get a baby. My first snake was a Burm, which grew fom 20 in. to 15 ft quickly! Unfortunately the pet store didn't tell me how fast she would grow. I will keep her, but I can't handle her by myself so me spending time with her is limited. She has never struck or bitten anyone, not one time. Although a bit large, I think red tail boas are good starter snakes "IF" you do research and understand how to care for your snake. They are typically good eaters, reach a good size, some larger than others because there are different types of red tail boas. Do your research and learn about these snakes. And be careful of pet shops because most of them want to make a dollar and they don't care about the snakes. I saw a pet shop sale a "CUTE LITTLE BURMESE" to a teenager just the other day. That is such a shame. Not that there is anything wrong with a Burm, but they are not for everbody. Good luck in finding your new snake!

16. satanic_maiden

satanic_maiden Member

I agree with greeneyes, my personal choice would be a corn, which you can get in a variety of colours to please everyone, or rosy boas are really calm too. But I would say not a ball python, for reasons already given.

17. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Your first snake was a BURM? Whoa...that's insane. I thought they had bad temperaments? They are a bit big for a first snake, too.

18. greeneyes

greeneyes Embryo

Yeah! My first snake was a Burm! I didn't do my research about snakes. I just went to the pet store and picked one out. Which was a mistake. Now I have a 15 ft snake that not many people would even want in their presence. I had no idea what I was buying I just had a cute little snake. Fortunately she has never even struck at me, I guess I've been lucky lol. But she always prefers to be with me. I have to handle her with my husband because I cant even pick her up by myself. What I have learned is that everyone always says start with a Ball or corn, but it really depends on the owner. I like and prefer big snakes, and have had better luck with them. Trust me, I had a Ball python that would bite every time I picked it up, then I have a Burm that has never bitten. It's pretty simple, snakes have their own personalities some good and some bad. Even though you may have a docile snake always accept the fact that it may bite. If you're scared of being bit, don't purchase a snake. I feed my Burm live food, which I know most people say not to, but I have never had any problems. I never use a snake hook and won't never use one. Not for a snake that is not poisonous. If I can't stick my hands in and pick it up, then I don't want it. I handle my snakes whenever I want, even when shedding (if I want too). I don't wait 48hrs to handle them after feeding either. I have never had a snake to die, mine are all well manored, and all shed good. I think there are too many myths about snakes and it scares people away from them. They are not horrible man eaters they are beautiful creatures that God made. Well enough from me, I could talk forever about snakes lol. Oh yeah, I now have a baby Red Tail that I would like to post some pictures of but I'm not sure how. I'm new to red tails. All I've ever had is a Burm, Cornsnake, and a Ball.

19. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

You've been very lucky! I think that's cool though. And you have a good point about snakes having their own personalities. I'd love to see pics of your burm and red-tail. You need to upload the pics to a server such as photobucket.com. Then all you do is go into "Post reply" click "Img" then copy and paste the URL then click "Img" once again. It's simple once you know how to do it :)

20. fpc40

fpc40 New Member

elaphe guttata guttata or corn snake this snake is not stressed that fast and you can let them mate easy they can grow up to 6ft but dont need a big cage i prob they are night active sow you wont see it in action that mutch if you are intrested try to get enough info first.