Which roach is the best?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by iGorx, Jun 15, 2007.

1. iGorx

iGorx Member

i currently have a colony of about 400+ Lobster Roaches and feed them to my leopard geckos and a crested.

i recently saw someone point out that lobsters aren't such a great feeder as i made them out to be and that there is another roach thats rather finer in and better as a staple feeder but i cant find which.

can anyone that breeds roaches or just feeds them tell me which one is the best and stays the same size as a lobster?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I do not use roaches in my own home but I've heard very good things about Dubia and Discoid roaches. Discoids are non-climbing/non-flying roaches and are said to be very nutritious. I believe shrap sells discoids. Both are slightly larger than Lobsters when full grown though, so I'm not sure if you'd want to use them.

Lobsters = about 31mm
    Dubia = 42-50mm
    Discoid = 35-45mm

If you are keeping a colony though you could easily feed the nymphs of dubia or discoids off to your geckos and save the adults for breeding. Again, this is second hand information as I've never used roaches. Hopefully someone more experienced will come in and give advice.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 789

789 New Member

I'm not understanding why you are saying that lobsters aren't a good feeder source. I was trying to raise hissers, discoids, and lateralis. My focus was on the lateralis. I lost over 4000 lateralis. I just can't get them to breed. I recently purchased 1000 lobsters and so far so good. Hissers have too much shell and get to be too big to be a good feeder for most. Hissers and discoids are both slow growing.