whites Tree frog behaivour

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Helz, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Helz

Helz Embryo

I'm doing an animal care course at college, and I have an assigment to do. I have to write a bit about the Whites Tree Frogs behavour.

What I am stuck on is how do they get on with each other, like how many males per females in a tank?

And also are they sociable with each other.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

hey there helz, welcome to reptilerooms!

white's tree frogs are not incredibly sociable (in the way that, say, chimpanzees are), BUT they can be housed together - even in great numbers (as long as you have a *very* large habitat).

it doesn't matter how many males per female (or vice versa) since neither sex is very aggressive or dominant.

croaking and mating are about as "sociable" as they get. only males croak, and they do it to attract females and to mark territory.

hope this helped!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. moongoddess

moongoddess Embryo

I've read that males "wok!", and females can make a low croaking sound, usually when annoyed or distressed. They can change color, but not for camouflage. One day it can be a bright green with pink and the next it'll be a muddy brown and I still don't know why. My general observation is that they like to eat, ALOT! I've seen pictures of White's tree frogs that are so obese they have fat over their eyes.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Helz

Helz Embryo

Thank you both for the info, I've added it into my assignment.

At our animal annexe, we have a Whites tree frog, and got to feed it today, haven't done that before, gave it some crickets.

It's cool how they appear so calm, but there very different with thier food!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

white's change color because of a variety of things; humidity, time of day, time of year, sex, dark/light levels, mood, etc etc etc.

if the tympanic ridge (the roll of fat directly over the tympanum ["ear drum"]) covers more than half of the tympanum, the frog is obese and needs to be fed less. you should be able to tell that the roll/ridge is there, but it shouldn't cover more than half of the tympanum/tympanic membrane.

it is assumed that one of the reasons they are so calm with humans is because of their size - they are one of the largest tree frogs in the world.