whites tree frog

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by zonie, Jan 27, 2005.

1. zonie

zonie New Member

i have a whites tree frog in a 10 gallon long but i have a tree in there and it never goes on it and never seems to want to go on a hihg point on the tank maybe he likes the ground? also im thinking of adding another tree frog in there ne suggestions also does this frog ever swim?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

hey zonie welcome to reptilerooms!

white's are NOT good swimmers and don't really need a whole lot of water. a small dish big enough for him to get in and soak is plenty.

a 10 gallon (even if it is long) is not big enough for a white's - at least not an adult. you will need to get at least a 20 gallon (preferably a 20 gallon extra high) by the time it is an adult.

white's are completely nocturnal and almost never move during the day. mine don't move unless the lights have been off and there has been silence/no motion for at least an hour. i'd bet money that he is just moving when you aren't looking or when you're asleep.

i seriously doubt he likes the ground more than the branches/trees. all white's will go to the ground sometimes to soak in the water dish or to catch a cricket or something, but they spend the majority of the time high in the branches of trees. he needs a high tank and tons of plants and limbs to climb on.

i would certainly not add another frog in with a white's in a 10 gallon tank. a 10 gallon tank is too small for even *one* white's tree frog. also, never mix species - especially amphibian species. if you want to know the million reasons why, just do a forum search for 'mixing species'.

good luck with your little buddy!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. zonie

zonie New Member

thanks im gettin rid of the toads soon and might need alittle while to save up for a 20 gal but is 20 gallons big enough for 2 whites?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. zonie

zonie New Member

i also got a 60 watt day light and ive been using the night light for a few days so ne suggestions on how to break in his new cycles?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

you shouldn't really need to "break in" the new cycles - they catch on pretty quick.

and one adult male would need at least a 20 gallon. one adult female would need at least a 29 gallon. two adults of any sex would need at least a 40 gallon.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. zonie

zonie New Member

hey, im pretty sure the frog dident move all night and all day cuz it was in the same position but i know its alive its been kinda hideing behind the food dish and i kept peeking late at night and it dident move have ne reasons why its doin this?

12. Hummingbird

i am 99% sure it is moving at night. most white's have a favorite spot in the cage where they spend their days. every day mine is in the upper right hand back corner in the same position. every day. all day. but i know for a fact that he's up at night because he wakes me up croaking and jumping around the tank and rustling his palm plant and such. trust me, your guy is more than likely moving quite a bit at night.

13. zonie

zonie New Member

thanks dude u helped me out alot wait and is this normal it sits at the edge of my water dish kicking its back legs like a mainiac!

14. Hummingbird

umm. i'm a dudette. but you're welcome. lol! :D

well mine never sits on the water dish kicking his legs, but that doesn't mean that something is wrong with yours. is it kicking its legs in the water?

15. zonie

zonie New Member

yeah like it kicks its legs like not all the time but if it gets up and moves not only in the water it just starts kicking out its legs behind its self, maybe its streching? lol

16. Hummingbird

their legs have to "fold up" a certain way when they sit, so he could just be repositioning himself so he's comfy. unless he's twitching or refusing to eat or is losing coordination or shows other signs of illness, he's probably fine.

17. zonie

zonie New Member

thanks well i got rid of those fire bellys and am about to put in the new plants and things i got for it so ill let u know cuz when i look its not moving but when he does move its like a weirdo it just lately i mean it just kinda kicks out like a mainiac and like i guess u can say uncoordinated

18. Hummingbird

well keep an eye on him, let us know how things go with the new setup, and make sure he's continuing to eat and everything.

19. zonie

zonie New Member

thanks really u helped me alot so ill give it a day or 2 and let u know how hes doin :mrgreen:

20. Hummingbird

no problem!

21. zonie

zonie New Member

hey thanks for one day it dident seem to move but when i got home from work i turned on the night lights and a few mins later he was up and climbing through the brush i guess it was those fire bellys annoyin him thaanks!!! :D

22. Hummingbird

no problem - good luck with your amphibians!

23. zonie

zonie New Member

hey hes turning brown, ne ways to keep him bright green?

24. Hummingbird

white's change color pretty often, actually. their color can depend upon the temperature or humidity, their mood, the time of day, the time of year/season, if they're hungry, etc etc etc. he'll probably change back to his normal green color within a few days. if not, it's still probably not a problem. and nothing you do can control his color.

25. zonie

zonie New Member

hey thanks and the kicking out he was doing now i am pretty shure its twitching, he climbed on toa hammock i have on top of the tank and started kicking out and then almost fell back