Why Did My Water Dragon Just Die! (4 no reason) PLEASE READ!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by goodiegodess, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

This morning when I woke up I went to check on my lizards, Lilly and Stitch. Lilly didn't look okay, so I got her out and she wasn't breathing and she was black in parts of her body. I knew she was dead, I called my mom and told her what happend. I cryed, and cryed, and cryed. I knew this has happened to other animals before where they die like this. I know this sounds crazy but I took some pictures of her, and I wanna find how what may have caused her death. I will always remember her, as my baby doll. :cry: Stitch is just fine, so now I only own one lizard now. Lilly was only about a year old, this is so sad. So will somebody tell me what may have happend?? My heart is broken by this.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kephy

kephy Moderator

RE: Why Did My Water Dragon Just Die! (4 no reason) PLEASE R

I'm very sorry for your loss. :)

If anyone is to venture a guess on what may have caused it, you should give us all a very detailed description of her setup, temps, lighting, feeding habits, supplement schedule, behavior, etc. Be as descriptive as you can and try not to leave anything out.

If you want to know 100% what caused it, put her body in the freezer until you can get her to a vet for a necropsy. That's the only way to be certain. It may be a good idea, since you have another water dragon, to make sure it wasn't anything that may be happening to him, too. If it was a disease or parasite and they had contact with each other, you need to know. If it was a minor detail in the husbandry, that also could be effecting him. He may seem fine now, but you can't know that for sure. Reptiles are very good at hiding health problems until it's too late.

Again, I'm sorry you lost her. Sounds like you loved her very much. The important thing now is to focus on your other water dragon and make sure he is ok.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

Sorry for your loss, it's always hard.
    Unfortunately I would guess that it was a husbandry issue due to the thread you started awhile back: http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-47852.html

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. TwiceBorn

TwiceBorn New Member

I am very sorry that your Dragon died. It's really sad.

That said, i am, at the same time, upset that you didn't listen to our advise.
    We told you that they were probably to much for you to handle, and to take them to your vet when you said they wern't eating. I'm not surprized that one died. Take the other one to the vet or better yet give it away before it dies.

I'm not trying to be rude, just strait so that your other dragon will have a chance.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

I did but her body in the freezer it's been in it since yesterday I will go take a pic of her now, no seriuosly. Also my mom says I can get a replacement for her, and this time the replacement will be much older! But no one will ever replace her completely.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

The same thing happened to an anole I use to own when I was 10, thye looked just like Lilly did once they died.

12. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

Okay I just went out to the freezer and got her out of the special box she was in. I picked her and and she was a stiff as a rock, I was soooo sad. I wanted to hold her close to me as if though she was alive again. She was dark dark and very cold, she also had a bite of frost on her head. I almost started to cry! I put her back in the box, and said a prayer for her that she may one day come back to me in a new form. Also how much does it cost to get a audtopsy for a lizard. Now I'm not kidding, but I want to preserve her skeleton so we may know more about water dragons. Is this possiable, I wouldn't be afraid, is it possiable for someone to this for me? I mean like what job person would they be?

13. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

Are you kidding me? Did you even read the above comments? You obviously can't afford the care of the ones you had and it died!!! Don't get a replacement if you can't pay a vet bill!!!!!!!

14. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

I'm sorry for your loss, but as has been said this has been an ongoing issue. I remember about a year ago commenting on the husbandry of your WD's. Unfortunately it has not been listened to and now one has died. Also from looking at your other threads, you are clearly not capable of the responsibility of looking after a pet. Please for the sake of your other WD - rehome it to someone who has the knowledge to put things right. Did you even change the husbandry after you noticed problems?
    I'm not trying to have a go at you, but when you take on a pet - you take on the responsibility of providing everything it needs and you are just not capable of that at the moment. Please don't get another one and put that one through the same trauma.

15. Sensation

Sensation New Member

Can you answer some of the questions people are asking? Did you change the cages for your wd's after your post "I NEED HELP, AND FAST!!! " when we told you was NEEDED to be done? Did you even take them to the vets? Did your dragons start eating more? If not you must have realized it was only a matter of time before they die.

Also I think it's pointless to preserve your lizard and get a necroscopy since we all know why it could have died. Save that money and take the lizard thats still alive to the vet.

One more thing can you please let your mom or dad read this post. I don't mean to make you seem irresponsible but if your parents read this topic and your other topic asking for help they will most likely do something about it and hopefully save your other lizard. Because I'm sure both you and your parents think it died of natural causes.

Sorry for the loss and please keep us posted on how your other wd's doing. Goodluck.

16. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

It's a shame that way back last year when you wrote of the calcium deficiency ( I think it was about 14 months ago) that you did not listen to advice. I just hope I don't see any pictures of a new WD anytime soon.

17. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

Why don't you ever post answers to the questions people ask? You can't possibly wonder why it died...you husbandry.
    It is simple: if you can't afford the animal's complete care you shouldn't have it. Period. Vet bills included. That is irresponsible and in my opinion that is animal cruelty.
    You should not get another dragon and should rehome the one you have. Think about the animals and not about yourself.

18. TwiceBorn

TwiceBorn New Member

I agree with sensation. Get your perants to read these threads, they abviously don't know that you are not properly taking care of your pets.
    and PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE, don't get another one!

19. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to jump in, but I felt like I needed to say something here...so forgive me, if I should offend anyone...

Please, everyone, keep in mind this girl is a child. I know there are many younger forum members here (though I believe Goodiegoddess is on the "youngest" side of the scale, if memory serves me) who take excellant care of their animals, but it is sometimes difficult for them to either obtain the funds necessary to take them to the vet or otherwise care for them in the manner we would think of as "ideal". This is NOT meant to excuse bad care...this is simply a small reminder that they are dependant on thier parents for thier animals needs, and we don't know what kind of family situation Goodiegoddess is coming from. While this is foremost in everyones mind, remember that the care & custody of any animals she may have, until she is 18 years old, rests ultimately with her parents.

**That being said**

Ali, there IS a reason why your dragon died. Numerous posts were made by you asking for help over the last year or so. The answer was usually the same "Take them to a vet" and to correct your husbandry. If our advice is going to be ignored, we cannot in any way, shape or form help you. Please, we ARE trying to help you, and as you can see, people are getting frustrated in their attempts to assist you and your dragons to thrive & live healthy, happy lives.

As was suggested by several members, I think your parents need to be made aware of the situation you are now in. Unless you want to lose Stitch as well, he is in need of IMMEDIATE veterinary care. The symptoms you have been posting about cannot be answered by advice given over a computer...there is no substitute for hands-on exams and proper medications (if necessary, which in this case, I believe it is).

I agree that adoption is the course you should consider. Once you are older, and maybe have a job with an income of your own to support a pet, then you can once again venture into exotics. But at the moment, you are ill-prepared for taking on this kind of responsibility. While your parents are "legally" responsible for you & your animals...YOU are thier owner. YOU need to inform your parents that, in order for your water dragon to have the kind of life he deserves, you need thier help. If they are unwilling to help you, the kindest & most responsible action is to adopt Stitch out. He is a living, feeling creature. Please think very carefully about this. If you need help convincing you parents of the gravity of the situation, by all means have them either look at this thread, or email me privately (oooshortygirl@aim.com).

Ali, I hope you take the right course of action this time around. The members here are good, animal-loving people and will gladly help you find a new home for him. I know some of the answers were "harsh", but they were valid. Until you are old enough & financially prepared for an animal, you should not consider getting a new one. Do what's right for Stitch, and he'll thank you for it; and so will we.

~Michelle

20. Ev8N

Ev8N Embryo

SORRY!

My roommate and I are very sorry for your loss...We hope you are doing well....

21. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

RE: SORRY!

whatever old people, lol. I do take care of my pets! She was just to little to handle, I do better with older water dragons.

22. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

I would hardly call us 'old people'. You are handling the situation poorly. Age does not mean it won't need vet care, or that it won't have the same problems your others did. In fact, none of the problems you listed had anything to do with age. I think you are being incredibly irresponisble. I would hardly say you take care of your animals when you take none of them to the vet even when they need it. For instance, not taking you dragon to the vet when she broke her leg was wrong. Your decision to replace animals after you kill them is also wrong.
    Us "old people" know a lot more about the care of these animals than you do. I would never let one of my pets go without seeing a vet at least twice yearly. These animals are in your care.
    I can see all of this advice is falling upon deaf ears so all I can do is pray your parents decide against buying you another animal.

23. goodiegodess

goodiegodess Member

I was just kidding! Plus my mom and dad never have the time too. We were suppose to, but it never got done cuz my parents are bust with crap that don't even matter. Thats why! I even was going to pay for her vet visit, only my mom never called the vet and nothing was done. Although her leg did heal, and she could move it once it was healed.

24. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

Then if you and your parents don't have time for your pets, don't get more. It's simple, she didn't receive the veterinary care she needed. So no, your dragon did not die for "no reason". It's obvious you aren't going to change anything so why waste our breathe.

25. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

We have all tried to help you, but you clearly don't want our help. And what is worse is you simply don't appear to care. If you did you would have begged your parents to take you to the vets. I bet you begged hard enough to get them! I have a 7 year old daughter that is allowed to actually help down the reptile shop and handle the animals because she is that responsible and takes everything in about their husbandry. She got a leopard gecko for her fifth birthday and he is an absolutely gorgeous example of leo. So, age doesn't matter. And neither does the age of your animal - or else they would be extinct if they were that fragile in the wild.
    And I think you summed up your attitude pretty well with the words "crap that don't even matter".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.