Why does my wd hate it outdoors???

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by TwiceBorn, Jun 6, 2007.

1. TwiceBorn

TwiceBorn New Member

I waited till winter was over to take my wd out for the first time and i've takin him out a few times now, but he hates it. Sometimes he will run a little bit, but usually he just goes limp like he's dead and closes his eyes. Is he scared??? He won't move a muscle, he just....goes limp. I don't know why but i hate it. I want him to run and play,(on a leash of course) but he won't even move. has this happened to anyone?? How can i stop him??

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Of my two, only Oscar doesn't mind the outdoors, and I think it's because he's too damn lazy to care one way or the other. I've heard that alot of peoples CWDs aren't comfortable outside. I would assume it's beacuse they feel exposed out in the open with no cover.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ruksgotthebucks

ruksgotthebucks New Member

i would have to agree as to him being scared with no cover,cwd's are not like somelizards like beardies that love itoutside......my two guys will chill sometimes when out but usually bolt for some shelter,they love to climb and ihave a screen slider that leads to my deck....they run right up the screen and just hang out and enjoy the fresh air

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. TwiceBorn

TwiceBorn New Member

hm, interesting. What if i left him out for long periods??is it dangerous?? Mabye he would get used to it.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

It would probably stress him, especially if he's young. My guys are pretty much adults, so their starting to calm down. If you had a screen enclosure, you could probably use that; just make it with enough cover so if he gets nervous he doesn't injure himself trying to bust out.

~Michelle

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ruksgotthebucks

ruksgotthebucks New Member

agree once again lol.....they have to have cover,in their own environment/enlosure they may stay in the open but they are comfortable taking him out when he isnt used to it or has nowhere to go will stress him out,a screen enclosure with ample hiding places would work gradually

12. Spazzy3

Spazzy3 New Member

I've brought my 2 CWDs outside before, at first they were scared and didnt really seem to like it but now they're used to it and dont seem to mind it too much.