why doesn't my female leopard gecko breed?

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by dayna_99, Mar 21, 2013.

1. dayna_99

dayna_99 New Member

Yesterday me and my sister put our geckos together to breed. Yes, they are male and female. We have been preparing them for this for about a year now. But when we put her with him he tried vibrating his tail and start to bite her to get a hold. But she keeps on biting him and really hard! do we separate the geckos? Or let them get used to eachother. My sister and I want to hatch baby geckos but if our female is so aggressive. What do we do? PLEASE HELP!!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Did the tank belong to the female before you put the male in?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dayna_99

dayna_99 New Member

Yes it was hers. but for about a week before we swiched their caves so both could get used to eachothers scent

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Ya, but still the female had established a territory in her tank already. The presence of the male seems more like an intrusion to her that a mate. Perhaps try putting them in a ''neutral'' territory, a third enclosure.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. dayna_99

dayna_99 New Member

Okay I do have an extra tank but its to small to house two leopard geckos. So should I switch there aquariums so the male now lives in the females. And the female lives in the males encloser?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

I think it should work as long as both are in unfamiliar territory, and both are not stressed.

12. dayna_99

dayna_99 New Member

Okay thanks!
    Today we checked her belly and saw two egg figures. Is she pregnant or ovulating? If so do you know what we do? And what is ovulating exactly?

13. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Introduce a nesting box in her tank with moist vermiculite, keep checking to see if she has laid them. If and when you do find eggs, take them and place them in an incubator, in an air tight container with moist vermictulite. Keep checking to make sure it isn't too dry or too wet. Open the container twice a week for fresh oxygen. If the eggs feel slick they're too wet and make it drier, if it gets to dry add a bit of water. For a mixed-sex batch temps should be 85-86 F

dayna_99 likes this.
  14. dayna_99

dayna_99 New Member

But what if the eggs never have been fertilized by the male yet?

15. dayna_99

dayna_99 New Member

heres a pic of her belly

Attached Files:

16. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Hmm cant see why she'd produce eggs with out fertilization

17. dayna_99

dayna_99 New Member

likewise, thats why we didn't know what to do.
    Should we put the female in the males tank to see if they will be fertilized?

18. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

um check my post on your other thread, they might possibly be fertilized already but its worth a shot.