why is my snake dont eat?

Discussion in 'Boas' started by teiryklav, Jan 10, 2009.

1. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

my candoia hasnt eaten after she had done shedding, she done this before, for about a week, but now, it has been from 22th of december and she hasnt eaten yet?
    what should i do?
    i'm really worried!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

Just keep track of her body weight. There useally is no problem untill they have lost 10% of there current body weight. After that you may want to contact a vet for an appitite booster.

what are your cage conditions temperature warm side cool side and basking spot, humidity, substrate, heating device(s), day/night cycles, hides, water dish placement, and size of snake, size of cage.

if for some reason somthig of off, it can stress the snake in to not eating.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i dont have proper humidity and temp,
    substrate, like noodle carpet (you sometimes it for tortoises) but i dont know the actual name, i heard that snake dont really need heating devices so i bask her in the sun sometimes, size snake an adult, 23", cage : 35x20x20 cm, the seller told me to put her in that cage, thats not a lot of place, but thats ok for that kind of snake. she doenst like hides and never used hides, the house gecko i feed to her use that hide to hide and the snake cant reached it so i removed the hides,
    thx

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Is it the Solomon Islands ground boa you have? if so dont worry about it not eating just yet.
    As you know they are not very active and have a much slower metabolism than other snakes, so for it to go may be 3 or 4 weeks without eating, is not uncommon.
    Is it possible to get a large cage, although they dont need a lot of space, a bigger cage than what you have may be better for it, I would suggest 60x30x30 cm, if you can. Has it got a large water bowl, because they do like to soak a lot.
    I believe it is the summer (hot season) where you are, at the moment, this could another reason why it hasn't eaten. Try feeding late in the evening as they are nocturnal and possibly eat better when its cooler.
    Unless it looses a lot of weight, I shouldn't worry yet.
    Hope this helps you.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

my boa really doesnt like to soak..
    btw its in the rainy season..
    i dont have a weighter, what should i use to weught it?

because its just shed, i think it stressed her..
    shed used a lot of energy right?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

yey!
    she has eaten..!!
    (i guess)
    the house gecko i put in her cage has gone, so i guess it ate it,,
    because its not that big house gecko, i cant really see the fat thing in the stomach but its common, i've seen that several times,
    (this is except any people get the gecko out of her tank)
    btw thx everyone!

12. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

ok I agree with bruno get a slightly larger cage.
    and you really should have the correct temperatures and humidity, if you do not than the risk of illness becomes greater.

13. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i will get a bigger cage if i can, but i dont think about it now, i'm only some months again with her, after that i will move and i will get her back to the reptile garden,, my parents dont let me keep snake in house..
    and time will be a bit harder for me..
    sorry,,
    and sorry for elune too (my snake)