Why is?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Skyfeather, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Skyfeather

Skyfeather Embryo

why is my leopard loosing weight, I just recently moved two cages apart, one with the leo in it, and the other with 2 bearded dragons in it. and since that time she has been mopping around the enclosure, and has recently started loosing weight. Sh also is having a hard time catching her prey. Heck I've fed her both wax worms and meal worms, and they have been just floating around her cage.
    What did i do wrong? Should I put the two tanks back side by side?
    Any info that you all could give me on this problem would be appreciated.

thank you
    Edith

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

You need to give us a little more information about the enclosure...

Are the temperatures good?
    What kind of substrate are they on?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Skyfeather

Skyfeather Embryo

Ok both the beaded dragons and the leo gecko are on a like sandy substrate, not quite as fine though...
    Both species are in glass inclosures, the leo is in a 10 gallon, and the beards are in a 40 gal.
    I keep in the leo's tank both water, a few crickets and sometimes when she is moving around, i put in some meal worms.
    I have the right lighting in the beards cage, and as for the leo's cage, it is warm enough, with both a noctural light and an undertank heater...

if you need any more info ???
    Edith

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Ok, first, I'd get the leopard gecko off the sand. It's very possible it's become impacted. This is usually the top suspect when food is being refused - especially if they're on sand. You can try giving the leo a soak in some warm water - not very warm, just a little warm, and that might help anything that's stuck, pass down through the system. If the leo doesn't poop for a couple of days after soaking, get yourself straight down to the vet.

Obviously, still offer crickets, etc. during this time, but make sure any uneaten crickets are removed from the enclosure afterwards.

How old/big are the dragons? Presumably, if you've got two in a 40 gallon, they can't be very big. We've got adult dragons that live alone in 65 gallon & bigger tanks. I'd be careful about putting them on sand too if they are smaller dragons. If they're adult dragons, I'd get a bigger tank :)

If you do have to go with sand, you're best using washed playsand from home depot. It's MUCH safer than Calci-sand (which is what it sounds like you've got), and WAY cheaper ($2.50 for a 50lb bag). I've been using washed playsand for over a year with my leopard geckos, and I've not had a problem.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reptile.breeder

reptile.breeder New Member

i had the same problem and when i put the tanks back together it was fine coz the second take gave the first one some more heat and vise verser