Why not to Keep Crix in your Reptiles Tank(disturbing pics)

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by gex236, Jun 30, 2005.

1. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I think the main problem with this pic is that the BD was sick already. Obviously by the look of it, it is dehydrated and underweight. That's the reason the crix chewed on it...it wasn't able to move, catch them, or get away. I've seen this type of thing several times, and every time the lizard was already ill. Don't get me wrong, crix will try to chew on anything, but them chewing on a healthy, active lizard, would be less likely. They would feel the bites and react...even if asleep...they'd wake up.

And there should be plenty of water in that cage. There should always be a large waterdish in there for the BD to drink/soak in etc.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Just terrible. I've seen those pics before, but it's disturbing just the same. There are definatley some serious issues with that beardie.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. solid_snake_fh

solid_snake_fh New Member

i think it was sick, id have to say the crickets eat parasites so thats why i think the lizard was sick, but it still is really disterbing and makes me think twice before putting to many in.

i herd meal or superworms shouldnt be left in the cage with the lizard do damage to a lizard when asleep.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StockrA

StockrA New Member

aww the poor guy.
    wen i feed my WD crix now i cut ther back and front legs off and keep em in the old water dish, because it's deep and they cant escape, and whilst ther legs ave been cut off they just move around in a circle and atract attention to them selves

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bratspets

bratspets Member

From the www.kakadudragons site:

"Always feed your dragon its last meal at least two hours before its lights go out so that it can have time to digest. Never leave insects in your dragons tank overnight. Dragons sleep very deeply and a hungry insect can damage scales and eyelids of a sleeping dragon. Here is a picture of a dragon that was left in a cage with a lot of hungry crickets".

Bottom line...crickets nibble on lots of stuff...including lizards.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. zemane

zemane New Member

wow,poor guy

12. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't leave crix in a BD's tank at night and if you must then make sure there's some veggies for them. You can use a water dish but make sure you wash and disinfect it every day and then ask yourself why it's in there. :)

13. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

wow, that's really horrible. I completely agree that the beardie was sick, but that just means that the owner had no idea what he was doing, thus the leaving the crix in too. I feed all my animals separately and in feeding tanks. It's just easier. Even if the bugs are leave in for days with proper food so they don't bite your beardie, their mere presence can stress them out.

14. Shao_lo

Shao_lo Embryo

whats crix?

15. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Crickets.

16. cowtowncrazer

cowtowncrazer New Member

17. Xotic-liz-kid

Xotic-liz-kid New Member

that would hurt!