woodworm ....

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by lewis_lizard14, Mar 11, 2007.

1. lewis_lizard14

lewis_lizard14 New Member

I found some fallen branches in my garden last night that look like they have woodworm in them. They are perfect for my new iggys home i have scraped all the bark and stiff of them and pored boiling water all over them a few times but will the woodworm harm my iguana or start eatin my cage if so is there anything i can do to get rid of them or shll i just not use the branches.
    Thanks Lewis

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

You could bake them for 300 degrees Farenheit or use a bleach solution to fix the wood.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lewis_lizard14

I cant bake them as they are too big but i was told that you cant use bleach as it soaks into the wood and can harm the iguana, if it is ok to use bleach what ratio should i do it at and any particular bleach??
    Thanks alot.
    Lewis.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

An alternative to is putting the wood in a large plastic bag and setting it under the sun for a day or so. This usually needs to be done during warmer weather. The more transparent the bag, the better as it lets in more sunlight. The temp inside the bag will get too hot for any woodworm to survive.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lewis_lizard14

Ok then thanks i will try that but where i live at the moment the average temperature is like 5 degrees so itsprobably a bit cold mlol. Thanks.
    Lewis

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. msdnhy

msdnhy Embryo

I'm having a similar issue...

I bought a piece of wood from the petstore and noticed that later in the evening these little black fat bugs come out and fly, I believe its woodworm. How should I treat the wood and will it hurt my baby iguana??? Someone else mentioned baking on 200 degrees for 45 minutes, should i???