worried about yoshi

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by lisa owens, Oct 10, 2012.

1. lisa owens

lisa owens Well-Known Member

hey everyone i am worried about yoshi he has not been eating like he usually does. he hardly touches his salad if at all and he does not eat as many roaches has he use to this is my first year with reptiles so any info would be great. is it just a lizard thing or is something wrong.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Has his enclosure changed at all? What are your temps/humidity? Not eating is usually a sign of stress that can come from hi being uncomfortable, or sick. Has he passed stool lately?

Not to scare you, it's possible he's just being finicky.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

Some beardies go through a time in the winter where they start to slow down, sleep a lot, not eat as much, ect. I know that mine goes through this cycle every winter so that would be my first guess, but you can never be too safe so if you could answer the questions Badger had then that would help!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Second what dogking said, a brumation period is common in beardies.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lisa owens

during the day temps have been the same about 105 on warm side at night it drops a bit lower around 70 at night it has gotten cool here. he seem to be calmer not sluggish like if he would be sick but just more relaxed i am not sure of his age but he is around 15 inches long if that helps. he has pooped but more like every other day instead of every day

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Pooping regularly is a good sign, the extra day in between is most likely due to the reduced diet. I would keep an eye on him, but unless there is a drastic change in behavior I don't area cause for worry. I'd try to get the nighttime temps up to the low 80s or so if possible, it's possible the drop in temperature triggered the start of brumation in how little lizard brain.

lisa owens likes this.
  12. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Looking back at your post history, (cue stalker music) you got Yoshi in May, and he was juvenile sized at that time. I'd guess he is still just under a year based on his size then and how long you have had him. He seems a bit young to be brumating...Some beardies do start earlier, especially males, but usually they wait until they are 1-2 years old...That being said, every beardie is different, especially when it comes to brumation. He may just be an early bloomer. However, it wouldn't hurt to get a fecal test done just to rule out any kind of infection or internal parasite. Most vets will process one without having to set up an actual appointment; typically all you have to do is bag up a fresh stool sample and bring it in. At this point I wouldn't say there's any cause for alarm, but it always pays off to play it safe when it comes to our animals' health.

JEFFREH likes this.
  13. lisa owens

yoshi ate 10 roaches this morning but yet to eat his salad maybe it was the move to another room could that be it temps stayed the same but the room is different