Would you guys like to help me out with my homework?

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by Karaswanton, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Karaswanton

Karaswanton New Member

Hey, I'm doing a research paper for my English class on the exotic pet trade. In the paper I'll be discussing various problems associated with it(ie, dangerous animals, animal welfare, and environmental impacts), discussing current laws, as well as trying to represent the interests of those in the trade. It's a 6-page paper for an English 102. My last English class! Yay!!

As part of the paper I need an interview, and the teacher said it would be OK to do an internet interview. All you have to do is to respond with your answers to the questions. I'm looking for a variety of responses, but not all responses will be used.

Here they are:
    1)What is your experience with exotic animals? What kinds? How many? How long have you had them? What ones do you consider “dangerous? Are you strictly a private owner, or do you also work/volunteer with them?

2)Why exotic pets? Why not just settle for a cat or dog and trips to the zoo? (Iwant to see why other people like them. )

3)What do you do in order to decrease risk when interacting with your pets? Do you think that increased education for people considering exotics will help? Do you think that taking classes should be necessary, and would it help? Why or why not?

4)Do you let visitors or emergency help personnel know you have exotic or dangerous pets? What would be your plan of action if one of your dangerous pets got loose? What would you do if it attacked someone?

5)Do you think there should be increased restrictions on what kinds of animals can be pets and/or who should be able to own them? Why or why not?

6)Do you think further regulation of the exotic pet trade would be effective? Why or why not?

7)Do you feel sufficiently informed about laws regarding exotic and/or dangerous pets, and did you have any sort of difficulty getting access to this information? If so, what kinds?
    ----

Also, does anyone know where I could find information on exotic pet laws in Michigan? I could use that as well, and I figured someone here probably has a good one bookmarked. Also, I'm not doing this as a poll since I just want raw data.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. UltimateFX

UltimateFX Member

http://librarytest.municode.com/mcc/home.h...method=cleardoc
    Those are the laws that are in my city Brownstown Township downriver. The laws are under animal control then under exotics. Here is what it says concerning them
    133.810 Exotic animals.
    Sec. 8.10. No person shall keep any exotic animal or type of animal which the Animal Control Officer may determine to be a hazard to the community. It shall be unlawful for a person to possess, breed, exchange, buy, or sell, or attempt to harbor the following exotic or wild animals:
    (1) Apes, monkeys and related forms;
    (2) Poisonous reptiles and other animals, spiders and insects;
    (3) Constrictor snakes, four feet or more in length; snakes kept under four feet must be kept in cages and not permitted to roam freely;
    (4) Cats from the wild family, including but not limited to the bobcat, cheetah, cougar, jaguar, leopard, lion, lynx, mountain lion, panther, puma, tiger;
    (5) Non-domesticated carnivorous animals including hybrid crosses of non-domesticated carnivorous animals, including but not limited to raccoons, skunks, foxes, etc.;
    (6) Crocodilia, including but not limited to crocodiles and alligators;
    (7) Struthio, including but not limited to ostriches;
    (8) Pot Belly Pigs;
    (9) Wolf Hybrids, an animal exhibiting primary physical and/or behavior of wolf characteristics, or an animal that is represented as a wolf hybrid by its owner or breeder.
    A person who owns or keeps an exotic or wild animal on the effective date of this ordinance shall within 30 days of the effective date of this ordinance remove the animal from the Township.