Wrapping around wrist?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Radena, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Radena

Radena New Member

When I hold my little girl she wants to wrap around my wrist.
    I normally discourage it by putting my other hand so she has to
    move on to it much like letting my leos walk from one hand to another.
    I am rather uncomfortable with letting her wrap herself around
    me.
    What I wanted to know is what you other people do?
    Do you let them wrap around you? How do you get them off
    with out upsetting them? I do not want to get bit.
    Thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. burky_tc

burky_tc Member

I let mine wrap around my hands or arms. Dont worry about getting them off. Usually just start from the tail end and unwrap or if you get it near its enclosure it might unwrap itself and slither back in.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

I dont mind if they wrap or not. To get him off I usually just lower my arm to a foot about the bed/floor/couch...and he almost always unravels and tries to drop to the new surface.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wolverine0001

wolverine0001 New Member

I let mine wrap. I think they get a secure feeling from wrapping. I wouldn't want to be carried if I wasn't hanging on. plus think of all the horror stories they hear of accidental droppings while hanging out in the pet store waiting to be bought.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Kogut

Kogut New Member

Yeah, I let mine wrap around whatever it pleases. Makes it a lot easier for me to type when he's around my wrist instead of taking up the entire keyboard area. If you're not comfortable with it, then my advice would be to just have somebody sit next to you while you handle it. If you're so scared that you'll get bit if you have to unwrap the snake, then it might not have been the best choice to get one...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. diablo17

diablo17 Member

let it wrap, it's trying to get warm and secure. if you always fidget around with it and not let it wrap when you handle you're gonna end up with a snake that doesn't like to be handled.

as far as getting him off, just unwrap him. don't be too rough, but you don't have to handle them like a fragile butterfly either.

12. Radena

Radena New Member

OK. That is what I wanted to know. If it is something I should let it do.
    If it is more comfortable wrapping then I will let it. I just will not let it
    wrap around my neck when it gets larger. LOL
    As for being afraid of getting bit, Kogut. It is just something I would rather avoid so did not want to create a potential problem. It may not hurt but
    it would startle me. Thank you everyone for your imput on how to handle
    my snake.

13. Kogut

Kogut New Member

I know you're just trying to avoid it. The issue is that if you handle a snake while being scared of said snake, you put yourself at risk. Nobody touches mine, although he's only 2', without me sitting next to them watching. If it gets to your neck when it gets larger, and you panic, then what? Heighten the chance of getting bitten. I'm not saying you should try to get bit, though. :)

14. HadesBP18

HadesBP18 Member

Kogut is right. Snakes are like babies. If they feel you are scared or fidgety when holding them it will stress them. When they get bigger this is a reason why they constrict, esp. the big boids. Which is why two people should handle them.

Side note...bites don't hurt. Swing by the Boa section and look at my thread Bite Pics. That was a bite from a boa...a bite from a BP is nothing. You wouldn't even feel it.

15. Radena

Radena New Member

Well I did not get to hold her much tonight.
    I took her out and her eyes are blueing up.
    So she is starting into a shed. And I understand
    that you should not hold them when they are
    shedding. So I put her back. For now.
    I got a baby because I figured I would get
    accustom to handling her before she get bigger.

16. Kogut

Kogut New Member

Meh, all tempers are just a matter of the individual snake's perspective. I purchased mine right as it was a day away from shedding. Spent several minutes poking his face trying to get it to bite me. Even with eyecaps on, he just hung out and started checking my arm out. Now, I really don't care what he's doing if I want to bring him out. :) What's fun is when you need to help them shed and they're trying like all hell to get away. :)

17. Radena

Radena New Member

So it is OK to hold them when they are shedding?
    She did not seem to mind that I was holding her
    for the few minutes. But I did not want to stress her
    out.

18. diablo17

diablo17 Member

you shouldn't mess with them while they are shedding, it'll stress 'em out.

19. Radena

Radena New Member

She finished her shed today. So I took her out. Let her wrap herself about my wrist. And went about my chores in that room. Misting the bearded dragons. Feeding and watering the roaches. Feeding the gecko.
    Then when it came time to put her away. I just put my wrist into her pen and
    she climbed on down. So all was well. And she was beautiful in her new skin.
    Tomorrow I will hold her then feed her again. The more I get to hold her
    the more I like her. OK I have another question. So far I been holding her only in the room that I keep the cage in. How should I go about introduceing her to other rooms? Is takeing her outdoors ok? Are they fast? LOL
    Is this not a good Idea? You guys have been alot of help. I did play with snakes when I was a teen. Now I am a 50 yr old grandmother. Have not out grown my love of animals even though mother said I would. ha ha

20. diablo17

diablo17 Member

it's fine to take them outside, provided it isn't cold out. my BP seems to like getting out in the warm sun. if you put em down they shouldn't be able to just disappear on you if you're right there. i personally don't put my BP down outside for fear of parasites, bacteria, pesticides, etc, although i have seen many pictures of BP in grass so obviously there are people out there who think it's ok.

21. Radena

Radena New Member

Today I put her on my arm. She just kinda hung there. Not tight or anything. I thought she might fall. But she did not seem anxious to get down
    today. Even when I put her kinda into the cage. She seemed content to just hang there.