WRONG ADVICE!

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Mark_87, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Mark_87

Mark_87 Embryo

Hi, after posting a couple of days ago about info on anoles i was in 2 minds weather to get one or not so i decided to go down to one of my local pet stores today to price things up.

I got there and the place was empty apart from one teenage boy who i have never seen before, talking on his mobile phone, so i went to look
    at them and to my supprise most of them were in terrible condition.

I dont know anything about these animals but i dont think that they should have open sores & blisters on them. should they?

There were about 20 of them in a cage no longer than 2ft and deeper than 1ft wich i believe was way too many as from the info given to me on this site.

Now youre really not going to believ this, When i asked the boy what they required to live happily he told me a smallish tank, as they dont like being in open spaces, a bowl of water, a small piece of brach/wood and thats it.

He told me that they do not need heat/light and that they get no bigger than they were.

Im sure this is wrong info, usually its a good store but i dont think i will use it again now,

what do you think?

I dont know what to do now as my otther nearest shop is a good 20-30 mins drive but i dont want to buy the mice for my snake there now as i think these may be crap to.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Seems the boy has just been employed on the basis of cheap labour maybe? Or just for convenience, obviously not for his knowledge with reptiles.

That setup information couldn't have been more wrong.

You really need a 10 gallon tank for one anole, basking light, uv light, digital therm, humidity gauge etc + the correct supplements. Hmm.. maybe you could make a complaint to the store owner or something?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. baskingshells

baskingshells Embryo

Big chain pet stores like petco always give poor advice and take horrible care of their reptiles. The fish usually aren't great their either, for anybody who's interested. I'd say go to a reptile only pet store. They may house their reptiles in smaller cages that usually recommended, but they usually know their stuff and the ones by me never are as bad as the big chain stores.

http://www.reptilerooms.com/Sections+index...es-secid-6.html

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

I agree, my local petsmart has anoles, long-tailed lizards, house geckos treefrogs and toads and even juvenile water dragons in cages that are just about 7 gallons, and without UVB lighting. Almost all of there fish have ich or some other type of illness. I think they just treat the water for it one time and not for the recommend dosage of however many times a week.