Yellow bellied turtles

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by kavinos, Nov 12, 2004.

1. kavinos

kavinos Member

My sis has just gone out today and randomly bought 2 yellow bellied turtles today. The tanks set up as was shown in the pet shop, but to be honest I never trust the information given there.

I would appreciate it if people posted as much information as that possibly has with regards to keeping these wonderful creatures.

I keep llizards as it is so I have a gneral idea. Any info, including tank set ups and tempratures etc, would be appreciated

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kavinos

kavinos Member

Just wish my sister had more interest. Shes bought em, made a crap job of setting up there tank and gone out.

Not that I mind, I love reptiles, but ive been left with sorting them out

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. havoc_murtha

havoc_murtha New Member

How big are they, and how big is the tank? I have a great pair of Yellow Bellied Sliders, the good news here is they are one of the easier species to take care of. If they are real young they may not be good swimmers yet, but once they are about 2 or 3 months old they are excelent at it. Make sure they have a basking spot that they can easily use, keep the water temp about 80 and the basking area almost 90 and they really need UVB. Some shops don't tell you about that, because the bulbs are kinda expensive and that deters alot of people from getting turts, if you don't have one yet, try and take them outside when its worm as much as you can.
    If you have specific questions please ask.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kavinos

kavinos Member

they have uvb and all the works so thats ok.

The tank is 20L and there both fairly young, prob about 2 months. However, the filter cant be right, I would have said an external filter would be better, but due to the sheer size of her internal one, you need to near enough totally fill the tank. Surely this is incorrect. They have there basking spot etc, but it just looks terrible. Im going to tell her to give me some money and ill make them a pretty tank.

Any ideas people? Anyone know any good english websites with products?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

the care sheet supplied by nuggular is a great one and i know that havoc_murtha has lots of experience with the yellow-bellieds. stick to his advice and you should be fine! ;-)

12. kavinos

kavinos Member

great thanks ill take a look, are they aquatic or semi aquatic guysch water they need?

13. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

aquatic - just check out the care sheet at austinsturtlepage.com.

14. MrHudson21

MrHudson21 Embryo

Iv just bought my first ever turtle and my first pet for 10 year im only 21. i got two together cos thought that maybe they will be happier then by themselves. I read on one care sheet because they are so young i shud just feed them the meaty foods like dried shrimp i have, blood worms and prawns with calcium dust on. am i though allowed to give them some kind of vegtable as well? do i have to wait til certain age and what veg do u guys recommend?