yesterdays news substrate

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by green_ace, Aug 6, 2007.

1. green_ace

green_ace Embryo

well i plan on buying a cornsnake soon as soon as my bearded dragon moves out of his 10g tank and i was reading that a good substrate for snakes is newspaper but that they also like to dig and i saw this so would this stuff work for a snake? also one more thing if anyone knows any reputable cornsnake breeders i would aprrectiate it

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Member

my main concern would be that the newsprint ink could discolor the the snakes bottom side.
    as for breeder google up Kathy Love i think the web site is www.corn-utopia.com or very similar
    also calas corns -Joe has some nice snake

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Kathy is probably top 3 corn breeders in the world. They may ingest the substrate you posted but I'm not sure. I'm a fan of aspen.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

I don't know about discoloring snake scales, but I do know Yesterdays News will discolor white cat paws.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Green_Ranger

Green_Ranger New Member

I don't think it would discolor your snake. I use it with my white mice and rats and they're fine. I would, on the other hand, be worried about the snake ingesting it. That and it's not a very soft bedding. I always use aspen over it.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BrilliantBeardie12

BrilliantBeardie12 New Member

Personally I would not use Yesterdays News as a substrate.

I used to keep my Skinny Pig (nearly bald guinea pig) mainly on this stuff, and within a week he had bunions and spurs and cuts on his feet from these hard and sharp pellets. The pellets are rather heavy in a mass, but they are very absorbent. I now use it combined with Carefresh in my skinny pig's cage too absorb excess urine, but only as a base.

12. craziiikris10

craziiikris10 Member

lol yes it does i have 5 cats and 2 of them got their paws temporarily died black after that we stopped using it, lol