Yet another shedding question

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Wildlabman, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Wildlabman

Wildlabman New Member

Hi,

I tried a search of the forums for an answer to this but there were way too many results to wade through...Mostly about how to handle bad sheds.

I think I understand the process that a snake goes through as it sheds, I'm just not clear on the freqeuncy.

How often do BPs usually shed?

I ask because I'm still new with my little Penny (1 week). She is 3 months old and I'm not sure if i'm starting to see signs of a shed (pink belly etc). I am afriad that I have not had her long enough to reconize when one is comming....Or is so obvious that I would not miss it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Chris

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Age and growth rate are going to be your two biggest factors as far as frequency of sheds. The older they get, the more their growth rate slows down, the less frequently they shed.

Babies will shed every 4 to 6 weeks and slowly progress to only shedding 3 or 4 times a year as mature adults.

The beginnings of a shed are subtle. If you are not used to seeing it you may not notice in the very beginning. The stomach will get a very light pink hue to it. That will slowly progress to the stomach getting very pink and the body being very obviously dulled in color. At this stage it is very easy to tell.

This will lead to the snakes eyes getting a cloudy blue color. The eyes will stay blue for a couple of day and then clear up again, as will the pink belly and the dull body color. Once the eyes clear your Ball will typically shed withing 48 hours or so.

The whole process from the very early signs of the light pink hue to shed can be 7-14 days.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Wildlabman

Wildlabman New Member

Thanks Shrap,

That's exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. It will give me an idea of when her next shed is due.

I guess as I get to know Penny it'll be easier to see when she starting. Right now I just can't tell. On top of that I'm still cautious about handeling her. She is still settling in. She did eat yesterday so things should be good for the most part.

Thanks again...

Chris