Young cresties and jar feeding

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by reptilefan, Sep 6, 2006.

1. reptilefan

reptilefan New Member

Do young cresties (1-2mos old) have any difficulty getting to crickets inside a jar?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mandatorychaos

mandatorychaos Member

Mine had no problem figuring it out. I was quite suprised the first time I did it the next day they were all gone.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reptilefan

reptilefan New Member

Great news.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. deftones5792

deftones5792 New Member

How big of a jar do you all use? My new guy didn't seem to want to try it that much and when he did, he got stuck cuz he couldnt back his way out up the side of the glass.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kephy

kephy Moderator

My jar is about 5 inches deep, off the top of my head. Jake did have a hard time getting out of it at first (I got him at 4 months), but he always managed. The key is to make sure the inside of the jar stays clean. If too much dust from the crickets gets on the bottom, the crestie will get it on his toe pads making them difficult to stick. If your crestie still has trouble maybe just start him out on a smaller jar. He should have no problem figuring it out though, they learn fast. Jake picked it up the first night, too.

Here's a picture to give you an idea of the size and type of jar I use. It looks like a drinking glass, but bigger. I got it at an arts and crafts store (Michaels).

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. deftones5792

deftones5792 New Member

Great! Thanks for the help. I'll try to find something that large

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

No problem. :) Try to find something without much of a lip to it if you can. Since the cresties sometimes have a little trouble climbing out when they are smaller, I think it makes it a tiny bit easier on them.

13. reptilefan

reptilefan New Member

Great tip...no lip on the jar.

14. reptilefan

reptilefan New Member

My little guy ate all his crickets out of the jar last night...it worked wonderfully. Thanks for the tips!

15. LindaH

LindaH New Member

I finally tried the cricket in the jar feeding...actually tonight is the first try. She was a little hesitant at first... but managed to get in and get the crix. I usually give her about 6-8 crix but I wasn't sure if she would be freaked out with all the crix in the jar at the same time (they are usually roaming free in the tank) so I only put 3 at a time. So far she ate the first three I put in. How many crix would you put in the jar? Kephy, my jar looks pretty similar to yours.

16. kephy

kephy Moderator

Depending on the size of the crickets... I think the most I ever put in at once is 12 small crickets. Just this week he graduated up to medium sized crickets, and I'm putting in about 5-6 at a time. I raise the number each night until he starts leaving one or two behind the next morning, that's how I know how much he'll eat. I don't think he's ever been intimidated by the number of crickets I put in the jar, he dives in head first and hangs out until he's done.

I'm really impressed at how fast these geckos are learning this trick!

17. reptilefan

reptilefan New Member

My gecko is very young...only a few months. The first night I put in 5 small crickets and the next night (a couple days later) I put in 6 small ones. Mine eats a couple at first then goes off to explore. He seems to come back during the night to finish them off. It's really cute how he hunts even though they are in a jar. I love preventing the cricket escape scene, too!

18. LindaH

LindaH New Member

Turns out she only ate the first three crickets, she didn't go back for the other 3 I put in (she usually eats more). My gecko is about 12months old now and last night was the first time I tried jar feeding but I think she'll get used to it. Next time I will put 6 in at the same time and see what happens. It was a bit funny though...when she saw the crickets it took her a couple of minutes to figure out that she had to stick her head in the jar and couldn't get to them from the side of the jar. I'll keep trying, I like the jar idea, because at least the crickets can't hide in the tank, and I can keep track of how many she is eating a lot more accurately.

19. reptilefan

reptilefan New Member

LindaH...I think she will definitely get used to the jar. Mine will sit and watch the crickets through the side of the jar for the longest time. It's so funny. And then, before I know it, he is in the jar munching down. Keep it up and I bet it'll work out fine. I agree with you...it's nice to know how many they are eating.

20. kephy

kephy Moderator

Reptilefan, it's like you're describing Jake's behaviors precisely! Your gecko hunts and eat just like mine.

Another bonus to the jar... sometimes if Jake leaves a few crickets in there for a long time, they have the chance to poop in the jar. The next moring when I clean the jar there are a ton of little crickets poops in it! I'm glad those aren't all over Jake's cage. :)

21. reptilefan

reptilefan New Member

Yes...you're right about that advantage. No cricket poop in the cage!! Just found that out this morning when I took my jar out.