Ziggy.Pic...sex?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by bunchOpets, Aug 11, 2005.

1. bunchOpets

bunchOpets New Member

ok heres pic of Ziggys underside...i have no other to compare too...thought it was boy..what do you think??[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kavinos

kavinos Member

too young to 100% tell. But, by the looks of the pores just visible along its legs, it looks like its possibly male.

Still, I cant be 100%

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kayl0rz

kayl0rz New Member

i cant see any pores. and the pores arent even a good way of sexing. both males and females have the pores. but males are *slightly* larger. its pretty much impossible to tell his age atm.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bunchOpets

bunchOpets New Member

ok thank you !!!ill try again when a lil older

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kavinos

kavinos Member

There are clear pores along both legs. And they are noticably different from that of females. well, at least there is between my 2 females and male.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Blinga04

Blinga04 Well-Known Member

hey bunchopets... you wouldn't happen to have that little guy on sand would yoU? just wondering, thought I saw some grains of sand on your hand...

12. bunchOpets

bunchOpets New Member

yes..washed play sand!! But im buying the reptile carpet anyway...every place i checked or read about the sand said as long as it was washed play sand i could use...but...its more of a pain..gets dirty quick..having to clean it twice a day every day ..so its the reptile carpet for me!!!!

13. sh4rkk

sh4rkk Embryo

cleaning teh sand twice a day everyday...whtats going on in there???shoudlnt be getting taht dirty. my 1 yr old male is on sand . no problem not a mess at all...i have a corner section laid out with papertowl ontop of the sand that he uses as a washroom pad (potty trained) . but sand is a danger when dealing with young beardies

14. Blinga04

Blinga04 Well-Known Member

yes sand is bad for youngins, and still a risk for older beardies, but not as much of a risk, especially if they're not fed on it, which shouldn't happend anyways.. and by the way, even if you clean the sand, your still not getting it all because it spread out into the sand, which is a bacteria haven.. good for you for switchin to reptile carpet, do that asap :( but even though you got sand, at least you got the safest kind ... when he's much older, maybe you can add a sandbox for him to play in..

15. alison1

alison1 Member

Nah when l had sand l took lenny off it too quickly and at the same time as changing other things and l put him back on to change at a later date as he went very miserable and it stayed for no longer than 2 days as it drove me mad! Changing food and water about 4-5 times a day as he had walked over and got sand in it, water in it! You have to get rid of this as of the bacteria that can form! Him through water then sand then it drying, l was bathing him twice a day and he's an adult! My god l will never go back! Yes l will be adding a sand pit to his enclosure soon, l think, as he used to love to dig either that or l will sort out the table sandpit on the balcony so l can fit another one there as one side is water and the other sand so if l take the legs off they will have their own little beach in the summer! lol!

16. alison1

alison1 Member

oooops, sorry bunchOpets! Back to the question in hand! Shouldn't really say that at the moment! lol! Sorry little bit of a joke but l know one person will get it! Right, l don't suppose you have a top veiw of your little man there do you as there is a possibility of being able to have a better thought than looking at any pores! lt's harder to tell that way at this age but there are other tell tale signs that may already showing on the dude!

17. tamnmarc

tamnmarc Member

At a young age it is pretty hard to sex dragons. We had 30 babies and all of them showed femoral pores........and we have 1 adult male that has no pores at all. If you are careful, you can look at him from behind and gently lift his tail up over his back. Sometimes if you see 2 bulges just distal to the vent it means male, and if there is one bulge in the centre nearer the vent it means female (usually, or a male that hasn't started to show). We have some 7 week old babies that look like they are starting to show differences, and I am keeping a couple for a bit longer to see if I am right :D . Often you just have to wait until they reach puberty, and start to do their displays.

18. bunchOpets

bunchOpets New Member

Am Cleaning sand alot because of like what alison1 said....it is a pain in the rump as well i dont want Ziggy to get ill for the most part.....i will try an find a top view pic...or take one...soon..dont have my digital cam at the moment...Thank you all though for the concern and helpfull info...

19. bruin77

bruin77 New Member

Just a quick question he asked about sexing his dragon why does everyone always jump down peoples throats about the substrate they use he is using this forum so I am sure he knows the dangers of sand. I know people are only trying to helpbut I have 3 friends who will not post on this forum because alot of time when a person asls a question it always changes into somthing else insted of the question at hand.

20. kavinos

kavinos Member

I have always said that bruin. Unfortunatly there are too many people quick to do that. Substrate posts do get annoying!

21. bunchOpets

bunchOpets New Member

I understand people worry bout the sand thing..which I , Pam, female lol, am changing to reptile carpet....yes it started out bout sexing....turned into substrate...should of started out with substrate...lol....ty

22. tamnmarc

tamnmarc Member

I think it is tough with so many people counselling on substrate (or other) issues all the time......that after a while, people aren't as patient. Which is not fair for newcomers who are still learning or are in the process of changing something. I know I raised my male up on sand thinking it was natural......then after a couple of years switching because it was such a pain. A lot of pet keeping is trial and error, and if people are asking for advice, then it is great as they may prevent more "error", not frighten them into not asking other questions.

haha, I just realized that I am now contributing something completely different than what this post was originally about. Oops :oops: Sorry

23. ChubbyBeardie

ChubbyBeardie Embryo

Its hard to judge at such a young age but b/c of the 2 vertical bumbs beneath the vent i would say male. Unless thats just a shadow and in that case... im just kiddin : )

24. ChubbyBeardie

ChubbyBeardie Embryo

Its hard to judge at such a young age but b/c of the 2 vertical bumps beneath the vent i would say male. Unless thats just a shadow and in that case... im just kiddin : )

25. ziggy123

ziggy123 Embryo

Hey, what a coincidence bunchOpets, my bearded dragon is named ziggy also. (sorry, off topic)