Zoomed Reptile Hammock

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by StylingPaT, Aug 13, 2006.

1. StylingPaT

StylingPaT New Member

I just got one and its about 7 inches below my basking bulb. Anyone have any experience with these? Is this bad boy gunna melt on me?

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

nope. I love them, super durable and easy to clean. and my beardies LOVE them. I would move it so he can bask close enough to the tube light to get the benefits.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StylingPaT

StylingPaT New Member

So it should be closer to the tube light? I got his tree for the tube light. :D Hopeing to use this so he can get closer to the basking bulb

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. clarinet45

In my experience, beardies like it when they can have proper UV and the right temperature in the same spot, not have to move around.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StylingPaT

StylingPaT New Member

Hmm. Maybe in a month or so when I got extra money, I'll buy a bigger UVB tube. This one covers half the tank and his basking bulb over the other half

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ChristyBug

ChristyBug Member

I'm having that problem right now... UV tube isn't big enough to cover the space I need.. keep having to move it around.

12. BrilliantBeardie12

BrilliantBeardie12 New Member

My Gobi and I LOVE Repti-Hammocks. They won't melt, they're easy to clean, and my lizard loves his. In fact the repti-hammock is the only place that Gobi goes to sleep and if he doesn't he wakes up grumpy after.

13. bethb

bethb Member

Same experience here...mine is 6 inches under his red heat lamp....which btw has melted many things along the way....but not the hammock!!

14. clarinet45

You should use a bright, white bulb. no reds ones day or night.

15. bethb

bethb Member

what is the problem with red heat lamps?

16. clarinet45

Have you read the care sheets on this site?

17. bethb

bethb Member

Yes I have...and no where on there does it say not to ever use a red heat lamp.....so back to my question....why not use a red heat lamp?

18. ChristyBug

ChristyBug Member

Beardies can see colour, and the red lights are meant for nocturnal animals, I had a red one for Bella and because she couldn't sleep properly at night she was miserable - no black or red lights, beardies like the bright light in the day, I actually cover Bella's cage at night with a quilt so that she has total darkness at night.

19. bethb

bethb Member

thank you for at least answering my question christybug!!

20. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

Yes, please change your red lamp RIGHT AWAY. It is unhealthy for your dragon, and it has actually caused lethargy and lack of growth. CHange it to a regular bright-white lightbulb.

As for the repti-hammocks, they are good, HOWEVER, there are several people on this site who have reported their beardie ripping off a nail in them. They are fabulous, unfortunately come with that risk.

21. bethb

bethb Member

actually ...daggerlover...I have noticed him getting his nails caught...but since I have clipped them....I havent seen that happen...so I hope that helps...but if not I may get rid of it and use something else...but good point!!! and I will stop at petsmart on my way home....what wattage ya think for a 55 gal?

22. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

Wattage doesn't really matter - you can use an ordinary light bulb from your home if you want (not frosted). I'd say 60-100 watts, for a 55 gallon. If you find that too hot, obviously a lower wattage bulb, etc. It's mostly dependent on the temperature your basking spot gets.

23. bethb

bethb Member

ok thanks!! :)